• A battery separator is a used for isolation of anode and cathode in the electrolyte while allowing ion exchange between them. These materials are mandatorily used in lithium-ion, lead acid batteries and other specialty energy storage devices and are required in both disposable and rechargeable batteries. Polyolefin with zero conductivity is generally used as battery separator. The low cost, superior chemical stability and mechanical characteristics made polyethylene as the widely used battery separator in various applications.
• The initiatives towards sustainable transportation is resulting in significant growth of electric mobility across the globe. The production and sale of electrically chargeable vehicles (ECVs) is on rise particularly in China, Europe and the U.S. According to the Edison Electric Institute, EV sales in the U.S. increased by 40% over 2017 and the total number of EVs on the U.S. roads reached 890,000. Polyethylene battery separators are considered as the preferred choice owing to its high chemical stability over its counterparts. The global battery separators are focusing on increasing their production facilities to meet the growing demand from EV manufacturers. For instance, Japan based battery materials manufacturer Toray Industries, Inc. has commissioned the establishment of a production facility for electric vehicle battery separators in Hungary.
• The global polyethylene battery separators market is highly competitive owing to low product differentiation and its potential for use in most of the battery applications. Companies such as Asahi Kasei Corporation, Toray Industries, Inc., and Entek International LLC are leading in the market due to customer loyalty and brand reputation. Most of the market players are focusing on expansion of production capacity owing to lucrative growth opportunities in the market
• In August 2015, Asahi Kasei acquired Polypore International, Inc., a U.S. based manufacturer of microporous membranes and battery separators. Polypore is the holding group of Celgard, LLC and Daramic, LLC. and has reported net sales of $450 million and $87 million respectively in Lithium-ion and Lead acid battery separators in 2014. Asahi Kasei emerged as the global leader of polyethylene battery separators market with this acquisition
• Other key players of the global polyethylene battery separators market include SK Innovation Co, The Freudenberg Group, Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd., DreamWeaver International, Inc., and Ube Industries, Ltd.
DataM Intelligence was incorporated in the early weeks of 2017 as a Market Research and Consulting firm with just two people on board. Within a span of less than a year we have secured more than 100 unique customers from established organizations all over the world.
We are pleased to offer you this exciting, new, and entirely free professional resource. Visit our Free Industry resource center today to browse our selection of 600+ complimentary Industry magazines, white papers, webinars, podcasts, and more. Get popular titles including: